Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Garbanzo Beans with Bacon
Low sodium bacon (140 mg. per 2 slice serving) allows it to be used in small amounts to add flavor to recipes while staying within the guidelines for a low sodium lifestyle.
3 servings: 349 mg sodium per serving
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1. Bring chicken broth to a boil in a sauce pan. Add rice. Simmer on low until the rice has absorbed all the liquid, about 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside.
1. Cook bacon in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat, turning often, until bacon is crisp. Remove bacon from the pan, leaving bacon fat in the pan. Place bacon on a paper towel to drain. Turn heat down to medium low.
2. Add onion and green bell pepper into the pan with the bacon fat. Cook, stirring often, until onion and green bell pepper are tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add spices. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
4. Add garbanzo beans. Stir until beans are well combined with the other ingredients. Turn heat to medium high until beans start to simmer; then turn heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add cooked rice. Stir until rice is well combined with the other ingredients and is hot.
6. Break up bacon into small pieces.
7. Divide bean mixture into three equal portions. Top with bacon. Serve.