Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Oven Baked Chicken with Mango Salsa
The recipe for Mango Salsa has been reprinted by permission from strongertogether.coop, the website of the National Cooperative Grocers Association (NCGA). I have modified the recipe by limiting the salt, and using my version of oven baked chicken instead of the grilled chicken recommended in the original recipe to spice up the chicken since my recipe is low sodium. The original recipe can be found at strongertogether.coop/recipes/grilled-chicken-with-mango-salsa.
4 servings: 268 mg. sodium per serving
1 cup low sodium breadcrumbs
1. Prepare the mango salsa. Salsa may be prepared up to a day in advance to allow flavors to combine.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cover both sides of chicken with yogurt. Coat chicken with breadcrumb mixture by rolling each piece in the breadcrumb mixture until covered with crumbs.
3. Place chicken on the greased baking dish. Sprinkle any remaining breadcrumbs over the top of the chicken.
4. Bake chicken, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
5. Spoon mango salsa over chicken. Cover and bake 10 minutes more, until the salsa is hot and the chicken is done (white throughout). Serve.
1-1/2 cups sweet mango (about 2 mangos), peeled, pitted* and chopped (1/2 inch pieces)
Toss mango, green bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, cumin and cilantro in a mixing bowl with lime juice. Add pepper and salt. Mix to combine.
*It is often impossible to pit a mango. In that case, after peeling the mango, cut off the fruit in slices and then chop into pieces.