Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Using low sodium canned clams and bacon greatly reduces the sodium that is normally found in this filling soup that can be used as a main dish. If you wish to use this chowder as a small side dish to serve 4, each serving would contain only half as much sodium, leaving plenty of room for other low sodium dishes to complete your meal.
2 servings: 410 mg. sodium per serving
1 (10 oz.) can low sodium clams, drained
1. In a stockpot, cook bacon pieces over medium heat until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon, leaving fat in pan.
2. Turn heat down to medium low. Add onion, celery and spices. Stir to combine. Cook until celery is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add cooked potatoes. Stir to combine. Sprinkle in flour, a Tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition.
4. Add milk. Stir to combine. Turn heat to low. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly, to thicken soup.
5. Add clams and bacon pieces. Add half & half if using. Stir to combine. Heat through for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not boil milk. Serve.