Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
This very low sodium enchilada sauce is easy to make and quite tasty. The time it takes for the sauce to "thicken" depends on the thickness of the liquid that comes with the canned tomatoes: the thinner the liquid, the longer it takes for the sauce to thicken.
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Combine onion and garlic in a bowl.
1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add seasonings. Stir to combine. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Add tomatoes (with juice) and salsa. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
4. Place sauce mixture, a portion at a time, into a blender. Blend until smooth. Place sauce in the refrigerator to store. If not used within a week, freeze in portions.